linux Erlang/OTP status

Marthin Laubscher <>
Fri Nov 4 23:21:28 CET 2005

Very Cool! That would take care of step 1. The next step is to get Erlang
running on a gumstix single board computer (my chosen target platform, own
distribution of linux and not debian, ubuntu or SuSE, not x86 but Intel
PXA255 ARM class processor (see

Thanks to Matthias's google trick I've found Brian Zhou's announcement of a
successful port to an even smaller XSCALE processor (on a linksys device).
That's another positive step dating back to May of this year. I still need
to have a deeper look before I can say how much that would help.

Check out the gumstix platform if you have a mo and tell me if you think
it's worth registering a "Gumstix Erlang" project, or if it should be so
simple that one person can do it over a good weekend.

Thanks for the responses guys, life almost seems worth it again.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Michael McDaniel
Sent: 04 November 2005 23:36
Subject: Re: linux Erlang/OTP status

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 09:33:24PM +0200, Marthin Laubscher wrote:
> I'd normally try finding answers first by searching the archives of
> questions asked, but for some reason the search function of the mailing
> seem broken - so I need to ask this way.
> What's the status of linux erlang/otp? I've seen it in the debian disto
> where it's called "unstable", and seen comments dating back to 1999 in
> it would seem like linux ports where commonplace, and would assume that
> years later large communities are running Erlang on linux. Yet I can't
> to find one. Any help?
> Thanks so much.
> Marthin Laubscher
Presently running R10B-8 on Ubuntu flavor of Debian, and SuSE.
Been running on R10B-6 on SuSE in production for months with
no issues.  It does a lot of ODBC database stuff and HTTP
client/server stuff.

$ tar -xzf /path/to/otp_src_R10B-8.tar.gz
$ cd  otp_src_R10B-8
$ ./configure  --with-odbc --x-includes=/usr/local/include \
  --x-libraries=/usr/lib --with-ssl
$ make
$ sudo install
$ cd /usr/local/lib/erlang
$ sudo tar -xzf  /path/to/otp_doc_man_R10B-8.tar.gz
$ sudo tar -xzf  /path/to/otp_doc_html_R10B-8.tar.gz
$ cd
$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.10 [source] [hipe]

Eshell V5.4.10  (abort with ^G)
1> q().
2> $

I have been using Erlang and not specific OTP such as