Abstract Modules (was Re: erl_eval.erl : Mucho weirdness)

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed May 25 14:04:38 CEST 2005

From: "Sean Hinde" <sean.hinde@REDACTED>
> > Or do you mean that there should be a way to use the name (atom) as a
> > regular module name in function calls, and the name-to-module
> > translation should be done behind the scenes?
>
> Yes, this is what I meant, only much less elegantly put :)

Oh, I see :-)

I can see a problem with this: the client module makes calls to what looks
like a regular module, but in fact is something else. Maybe the biggest
problem will be finding the source code for that module, but I feel it's not
proper...

Not to mention the possibility of getting name clashes: if a regular module
with same name exists, which one should be called?

<wild idea>
A clean way to handle this would be to make the client modules abstract too,
with the original abstract module as a parameter.
This would recursively force all modules that make external calls to become
abstract, and then why not make modules a data type and skip the
"abstractness"?
;-)
</>

regards,