performance issues

Vladimir Sekissov svg@REDACTED
Mon May 23 00:15:16 CEST 2005

Good day,

nm> For the same set of input data i got 5-10 times slower performance, what can
nm> be a problem and how should I profile this application ? profiler manual is a
nm> little bit messy (for a newcomer :).

Try _fprof_. It is very easy to use and has very understandable
output.

1> fprof:trace(start).

2> start_my_app_here().

3> fprof:trace(stop).
4> fprof:profile().
5> fprof:analyse([]).

It is all you need in most cases.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Sekissov

nm> Hi all!
nm>
nm> I've tried to rewrite my code using gen_server behaviour (the one module which
nm> do the manager's job - keeping track of child processes, lookup by key,
nm> sending broadcast to all children, and the one module with processes which do
nm> real job --  collecting statistics and process it).
nm>
nm> Imformation is coming to the system periodically (once a minute), some
nm> dispatcher process parses string lines and passes tokens to corresponding
nm> children.
nm>
nm>
nm> For the same set of input data i got 5-10 times slower performance, what can
nm> be a problem and how should I profile this application ? profiler manual is a
nm> little bit messy (for a newcomer :).
nm>
nm> Thanks in advance :)
nm>
nm>