insert a record

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed May 18 14:19:26 CEST 2005

Hi!

The index is transparent to insert operations.
Mnesia maintains the indexes behind the scenes, and you
never have to specify indexes except (a) when you create
the table and (b) when you specifically want to use the
index to locate data in your table.

Put another way, there is no way you CAN specify the index
during insert. You are not allowed to mess with the updating
of indexes, since this can lead to inconsistencies(*).

/Uffe

(*) Well, there is one way: you can do an (d)ets:insert directly
into the physical table, or use mnesia:activity(ets, fun() ...).
If you do this on a table that has indexes specified, you are
practically guaranteed to mess up your database! The same thing
goes for replicated tables.