[announce] Erlang ported to linksys nslu2

Brian Zhou b88zhou@REDACTED
Tue May 17 05:46:49 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that the latest erlang R10B-5 has been ported to run
on linksys nslu2, complete with SAE and openssl support, but with HiPE
disabled.

For those unfamiliar with this device, see the following links:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=43&prid=640
http://www.nslu2-linux.org
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/CPUOverview

It's basically a tiny XSCALE based network appliance (266MHz CPU, 32M RAM)
that allows you attach USB devices, with very low power consumption and
completely silent.

I'd think it's a perfect little node for Erlang. The packaging erlang.mk and
associated patches are checked in

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/nslu/unslung/

and binary ipkg will be available as soon as it's built on the official
build machine.

The next step is try to get it cross build as the complete native
compilation took about 10 hours.

Does anyone know what it takes to port HiPE to ARM? And how much performance
gain can one expect?

Cheers,

-Brian Zhou