Efficiently accepting TCP connections

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Thu May 12 22:07:25 CEST 2005

On 12 May 2005, at 15:22, Corrado Santoro wrote:

> joel reymont wrote:
>> Is there an efficient idiom for handling gen_tcp connections on the
>> server side?
> One possibility is to use thread pools. The "leader-follower"
> object-oriented design pattern by Doug Schmidt et al. has been
> proposed for this purpose.

 From a quick look at one paper on this subject it appears to be an
attempt to solve the problem where there are more connections than the
language will allow you to have threads.

Erlang suffers from the opposite effect - it can have many more threads
than the OS will support IO handles !

I suggest you scrap such thinking (be it object oriented or "thread
pools") and go with the Erlang way (one process for every concurrent
activity).

<aside>
"Thread pools" can be useful in Erlang, but mostly for writing clients
which need to maintain a pool of sockets to other systems which are
either non multiplexed or have other problems in this area
</aside>

Sean