Improper lists [was: Dialyzer v1.3.0 released]

Kostis Sagonas <>
Mon Mar 28 23:46:32 CEST 2005

Carsten Schultz wrote:
 > Some of the messages were like
 >   Cons will produce a non-proper list since its 2nd arg is=20
 >   (() -> possibly_improper_list())!
 > This looks to me like a lazy list, so I can understand that [ | ] is used.

Indeed.  I would personally like to exclude these from the list of Dialyzer
discrepancies, but it is not very clear at this point how to recognize lazy
lists -- which BTW is the only type of improper lists that I can see strong
arguments for liking.

For the rest of the uses of improper lists, the disadvantages outweigh the
benefits, IMO.