Parse transformery (Was: Re: Calling internal functions - foo::bar() ?)

klacke@REDACTED klacke@REDACTED
Tue Mar 8 13:34:42 CET 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:58:21PM +0100, Mats Cronqvist wrote:

>   here you have a choice between satisfying *some* users (the ones that
>   need to integrate and debug, possibly live, systems w/o access to the
> source code), vs. penalizing *some* users (the ones that need a potential
> moderate performance increase).
>   as for the AXD301, we of course want both :>. however, to us increased
> reliability is more important than increased speed.

Speaking for myself. The ability to call private functions
in _live_ systems far outweigh performance considerations
in the systems I have been involved in lately.

Therefore I almost always use -compile(export_all)
in most of my modules. Later ... way later when a
module has stabilized, I might (if I get the time)
do a later overhaul and explicitly export the API
functions.

So I am apparently valuing debugability higher than sw engineering
aspects as well as performance aspects.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
http://www.hyber.org                  -- everything is under control