size of an IO list

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Mon Mar 7 11:20:18 CET 2005

As usual, the hardest part is usually coming up with a good name.
After some discussion, Kenneth and I come up with the following
suggestion for TWO new BIFs.

        iolist_size(IOList)
        iolist_to_binary(IOList)

where iolist_to_binary/1 will work like this

iolist_to_binary(IOList) ->
        size(list_to_binary([IOList])).

but be much faster (and obviously not build the temporary binary).

The reason for the new iolist_to_binary/1 BIF is that is not clear
that iolist_size/1 is any way releated to list_to_binary/1.

Comments? Other name suggestions?

/Bjorn