Calling internal functions - foo::bar() ?

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Mar 1 15:13:21 CET 2005

--- "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> Rather than have a way to call non-exported
> functions, wouldn't
> it be cleaner to do what Hugs does, and let you
> choose in the
> shell which module to be in?  (The :module command,
> if you know
> Hugs.)  That is, each expression you type in the
> shell is
> evaluated inside the scope of some module, and you
> can change
> which module that is.

Sounds good to me. An interim solution might be to do
the following:

- if local call f(...) is a shell default, use it
- otherwise, prepend the "current module" m, and call
m:f(...)

That way, we can leave calling of unexported functions
for later.

Having :: could be used in regular code as well; it
might be preferrable to export_all, not to mention the
"internal exports" one is forced to do. For one thing,
it's easier to check.

I recommend including :: as an experimental extension
before casting it in stone.

Finally, I currently prefer to use the following
idiom:

% erlc +export_all mod.erl

rather than inserting it in mod.erl

Best,