Streaming Input

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Tue Mar 1 09:29:07 CET 2005

	This is slightly more difficult (not a lot)
you're now talking about re-entrant parsers.

	The general form of these is as follows:

	Assume you have some parsing function F which parses
a binary B. Calling F(B) returns done, P, F'} where P is a parse
and F' a new parsing function
or {more, F'} where F' is a new parsing function.

	You could call it like this:

	Socket = ...
	F = init(),
	loop(Socket, F).

where

	loop(Socket, F) ->
	   receive
		{tcp,Socket,Bin} ->
		    case F(Bin) of
			{done,Parse, F1} ->
			    ... do something with Parse ...
			    loop(Socket, F1);
			{more, F1} ->
			    loop(Socket, F1)
		    end;

Now you have to define F

Let's give an example. Suppose the input
has "begin" ... "end" symbols or #N (one byte followed by N bytes)

init() -> fun(B) -> top(binary_to_list(B)) end.

top("begin" + T) -> collect_body(T, []);
top([$#,N|T])    -> collect_bytes(T, N, []);
top(X)           -> fun(B) -> top(X ++ binary_to_list(B)) end.

collect_body("end" ++ T, L) -> {done, reverse(L), list_to_binary(T)};
collect_body([H|T], L) -> collect_body(T, [H|L]);
collect_body([], L) -> fun(B) -> collect_body(binary_to_list(B), L) end.

etc.

This is pretty simple code, the point to note is the last clause of every group

collect_body([], L) is called when we "run out of stuff to parse" - what do we want to do
then?

Answer: wait for "More" data and then call collect_body(More, L) - that's just what the
last clause says:

	collect_body([], L) ->
		fun(B) -> collect_body(binary_to_list(B), L) end.

This kind of code is very easy if you just "follow the pattern" and don't think (TM)
BTW you have to get the code right first time - debugging this is not easy if you
make a silly mistake :-)

Cheers

/Joe