Problem with node name

Raimo Niskanen <>
Thu Jun 23 09:01:37 CEST 2005

I think the problem is not in mnesia; it is just that '-' is not
a valid character in an atom, so the atom must be quoted with
single quotes: 'a-tom'.

A you see in the error printout:
> application_controller: syntax error before: e055: []
the node name atom has not been quoted, so it is interpreted as:
        [ '' - 6881 'e055' ]
hence, invalid syntax.

You will have to convince your shell to pass the single quotes
into the erl program. Perhaps try:
        erl -sname mb1 -mnesia extra_db_nodes "['']" \
            -s mnesia start
Are you shure the '[]' brackets are supposed to bee there too?