snmp traps

Serge Aleynikov <>
Thu Jun 9 13:29:56 CEST 2005

I am somewhat struggling with the documentation of SNMP traps.  Can
someone explain to me the meaning of some parameters in the SNMP's
config files?

{NotifyName, Tag, Type}.

- What is the Tag used for?

   TMask, MaxMessageSize}.

- What are TagList and TMask?

Also, the os_mon application supports OTP-OS-MON-MIB mib.  Can it
automatically send traps described in the mib when corresponding alarms
are set, or is it a responsibility of a programmer to write and install
an alarm handler and convert alarm events into appropriate traps?

In order to test an ability to send traps, I verified that I could do so
by running:

~~>snmptrap -c public -v2c uptime loadSystemMemoryHighAlarm

However after configuring and starting the SNMP agent, the commands
below don't seem to deliver traps to the manager at

10> snmp_notification_mib:add_notify("test", "sample test", trap).
11> snmp_target_mib:add_addr("test", [169,132,9,113], 162, 5000, 3,
"sample test", "", "", "", 2048).
12> snmp:send_notification(snmp_master_agent, loadSystemMemoryHighAlarm,
no_receiver, "test", []).

Am I using the right notation for sending notifications?