ex11, plotting and Cairo ...

Jouni Rynö Jouni.Ryno@REDACTED
Wed Jul 20 21:06:39 CEST 2005

Finding a simple subset from a huge parameter space may not be possible.
But how about different backends for canvas. All primitives could have
options list, default values given upon canvas initialisation.
Application could then mix different canvas types, fast for window user
interface, slow and fancy, where it matters. So the it would still be
simple

        draw(Win, character, X, Y, font, glyfNumber)
AND
        draw(Win, character, X, Y, font, glyfNumber, [tag=fancy,
render=xlib, kern=[], alpha=0.9, justification=right, ...])

Written that, I don't know, if it's a good idea to allow primitives so
much. Changing the rendering backend, really not. But something like
that. Anyway, it must be possible to make out something with the basic
command. If it comes out bad looking, one can start twiddling with
options. Usually, at first you don't care. (like "make it first to work,
then make it fast")

And about the canvas item tags. Those without tags would be like labels,
no activity expected. With tags, user action to be done i.e. active
objects. Or something like this.

Jouni