ex11, plotting and Cairo ...

Jouni Rynö Jouni.Ryno@REDACTED
Wed Jul 20 18:26:16 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 09:11 +0200, Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) wrote:
snip
> I'm currently working on VSG with a TCL/TK backend.

snip
> One thing I did find was that the only model I like is based on a canvas
> widget. To create buttons (and controls in general) I just draw rectangles and lines
> onto a canvas widget and animate them on mouse clicks.

Knowing the Tk canvas, I can understand how it would be a good to have
model. As I have the tendency to start from details and low level, I
could think something like this:

We could have the cairo model on top of ex11 with some extensions. Like
adding the item tags. And keeping a list of item enclosures. Then a
click point to the canvas would be send through the item list. To see if
any item under the mouse is interested. Something like that must already
happen under the Tk-hood.

The reason for pushing for Cairo like library is the possibility for
different backends. Printing/picturing the nice computer generated
images being always the issue. Cairo has recently been put into so many
main stream open source projects, that it should have a bright future.
On the other hand, the same projects use C++ or java. Does that ring any
bells.

regards
	Jouni

--

  Jouni Rynö                            mailto://Jouni.Ryno@fmi.fi/
                                        http://www.geo.fmi.fi/~ryno/

  "It's just zeros and ones, it cannot be hard"