Three wishes

Roger Price rprice@REDACTED
Mon Jul 18 14:44:32 CEST 2005

Wish 1: No scope extrusion

Erlang allows variable name scope extrusion from if, case or receive
primitives, "Concurrent programming in Erlang", section 2.8.1.  I would
like an option which supresses this scope extrusion, and makes the
variables introduced within an if, case or receive unknown outside.  I
would also like this option to be the default compiler behaviour.  The
current scope extrusion is counter-intuitive, and adds unwanted
complexity.  Is there any case in which it is a "must have"?

Wish 2: Block comments

Some programming languages provide line comments, e.g. Erlang, TeX,
Scheme, whereas others provide block comments, e.g. ML, Haskell, SGML.
Both forms of comment have their uses, and I would like to be able to use
block comments as well as line comments in an Erlang program.

Wish 3: ISO latin 9

If you are using the ISO latin 1 character set and can see the Euro
symbol, then you are not using ISO latin 1, but rather ISO latin 9 as
defined by ISO/IEC 8859-15 [1].   For example, on my Dell laptop the
following function call displays a Euro:

3> io:format ("~c~n", [$\244]) .
¤
ok

Confusion between the two is very common. I would like Erlang to be an ISO
latin 9 language.

None of these changes should affect the time or space efficiency of a
Erlang compiler.
Best Regards,
Roger

[1] "Draft available at