Time series db: please help me optimize it

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Sun Jul 17 13:00:14 CEST 2005

Folks,

This is my attempt at creating a time-series database in Erlang. I
specifically want to store a day's worth of data in a separate disk
log and keep the columns separate. You can read more on the whys
here: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uptick/

You can get the data from http://wagerlabs.com/ES4U.csv.gz. Run it
like this:

tickdb:load("ES4U", "ES4U.csv").

I had a version that did not cache open disk logs but used tickdb:add
directly, without going through a gen_server. It ran almost 3x faster!

Any suggestions on how to optimize this are appreciated. There are
119,275 trade record in the CSV file. I divide the total run time by
this number to get the average per insert. I would like to do at
least 100 inserts per second.

The code is part of the open source trading platform that I'm creating.

     Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/uptick