TCP stack throughput

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Mon Jul 4 19:16:43 CEST 2005

Joel Reymont wrote:
> So this means 500 simultanous connection requests on Solaris and  about
> 300 on Mac OSX (FreeBSD). My question, I suppose, is whether  this is
> high enough.
>
> Is there a limitation in Erlang or is this maxing out the platform  TCP
> stack?
>
> What do you folks recon?

Hello,

I am not sure I understand your test quite well. Basically you are
connecting and deconnecting very quickly. Is that the case ?
If this is the case, what are you trying to benchmark ?
Most of the time mesuring the TCP/IP throughput implies trying to know
how much data can be processed through a TCP socket, but usually a long
running one.

My experience in Erlang, shows that it can handle very well simultaneous
process, so you can have many processs and thus connexion
simultaneously. I did not try to benchmark quick connect/reconnect. From
experience, there might be some performance problem. It looks like a
denial of service for the application.

Does it answer your questions ?

--
Mickaël Rémond