BEAM implementation questions

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jan 25 10:34:30 CET 2005

--- James Hague <james.hague@REDACTED> wrote:

> Just a couple of questions about the current Erlang
> implementation:
>
> 1. BEAM builds structured constants at runtime,
> whereas HIPE doesn't.
> For example, consider nouns() -> ["house", "cat",
> "tree"].

I'd like support for this, perhaps even moreso if
there was some language support for declaring
"constant data".

> [messaging implementation]

As far as I recall, when a message arrives to a
waiting process, the process is set to be ready to
run. If the message doesn't match the current receive,
the process resuspends. (If several messages have
arrived, they are scanned in arrival order.)

A suspended process thus has already scanned through
the existing messages in the mailbox, if any. The
whole mailbox will be rescanned at the next receive.

However, while this implementation seems reasonable
enough, the actual semantics of Erlang (such as they
are) permit other implementations than this.

Best,
Thomas