Getting Started: tut.erl : exiting with an error?!?

Michael Williams mike@REDACTED
Fri Jan 14 09:42:10 CET 2005

In article <41E716CD.5090408@REDACTED>,
 charleshixsn@REDACTED (Charles Hixson) writes:

|> P.S.:  Missing from the getting started tutorial is how to properly quit
|> the shell.  (I eventually found that the answer was halt(). , but it
|> wasn't something I was able to guess.)
|>
>From the tutorial (section 2.1, right at the start):

  To shutdown the Erlang system and the Erlang shell type Control-C. You will see
  the following output:

  BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution
  %

  Type "a" to leave the Erlang system.

  Another way to shutdown the Erlang system is by entering halt():

  3> halt().
  %

In an early version of the tutorial, this information was indeed missing and I
added it later when this was pointed out. Maybe you have some outdated version?

/mike