no more tagged returns

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Mon Feb 21 21:31:09 CET 2005

Today I discovered erlang:error/2 (apparently added in R10) which
completes what is needed to write code which behaves in the way it
really should when called with the wrong arguments.  Nice.

I like to write all API functions with as many clause guards as
possible(*) to make most effect use of the error reports.  Now I
can write the clause guards in the server where the procedures are
implemented.

	-Vance

(*) The "fail fast" principle.

-module(new_api).
-behaviour(gen_server).
-export([init/1, handle_call/3, handle_cast/2, handle_info/2,
         terminate/2, code_change/3]).
-export([foo_to_list/2]).

foo_to_list(S, Arg) ->
	case gen_server:call(S, Arg) of
		{error, Reason} ->
			erlang:error(Reason, [S, Arg]);
		Result ->
			Result
	end.

init(_) ->
   {ok, []}.

handle_cast(_Event, State) ->
   {noreply, State}.

handle_call(foo, _From, State) ->
	{reply, atom_to_list(foo), State};
handle_call(Atom, _From, State) when is_atom(Atom) ->
	{reply, {error, function_clause}, State};
handle_call(_Event, _From, State) ->
	{reply, {error, bardarg}, State}.

handle_info(_Info, State) ->
   {noreply, State}.