need help debugging otp app

Garry Hodgson garry@REDACTED
Sat Feb 19 02:31:48 CET 2005

"Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:

> In http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200501/msg00036.html,
> Gary Hodgson asked for help in understanding the following cryptic error message:
>
> --> erl -boot ./master -config ./sys -boot_var MYAPPS $DIR -sname n1 Error in process <0.1.0> with exit value: {badarg,[{erlang,'++',[<<6 bytes>>," in bootfile"]},{init,append,2},{init,concat,1},{init,get_var_value,2},{init,add_var,2},{init,fix_path,2},{init,make_path,4},{init,eval_script,7},{init,do_boot,3}]} {"init terminating in do_boot",{badarg,[{erlang,'++',[<<6 bytes>>," in bootfile"]},{init,append,2},{init,concat,1},{init,get_var_value,2},{init,add_var,2},{init,fix_path,2},{init,make_path,4},{init,eval_script,7},{init,do_boot,3}]}} init terminating in do_boot ()
>
> Hopefully, he has found a way around it by now.  (:
>

> The probable error is that the script contains a boot variable which wasn't set when starting the system.

yes, i eventually figured that out.  unfortunately, i got roadblocked trying to get OTP
and pico (which our xmlrpc server was built on top of) to play nicely together, and i ran out
of the limited time i had to spend in converting our old vanilla erlang app to OTP.

it's a real shame, since i think OTP is a natural for the kind of things i need to do.
but the learning curve is steep, most of the contrib tools don't use it, and i don't
get much time to play with erlang.  i got pretty close this time, getting my main
stuff to build, install, and run, but without xmlrpc no one could talk to it, so i had
to punt back to the old code.

sigh.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.