standalone erlang

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Wed Feb 16 21:06:03 CET 2005

OK, this is what I did:

1. Apply this patch to erts/emulator/Makefile.in to re-enable the SAE
build

219c219
< all: generate erts_lib zlib $(BINDIR)/$(EMULATOR_EXECUTABLE)
$(UNIX_ONLY_BUILDS)
---
 > all: generate erts_lib zlib $(BINDIR)/$(EMULATOR_EXECUTABLE)
$(BINDIR)/$(EMULATOR_EXECUTABLE_SAE) $(UNIX_ONLY_BUILDS)

2. Run configure; make; make install as normal

3. cd to erts/boot/src and run make (after setting ERL_TOP)

All the parts of sae are now built, but don't get installed
automatically in the right places. beam_evm will be in
$ERL_TOP/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin7.8.0, and this can be put anywhere -
you need to distribute this with the apps

elink, ecc, escript, ear, esh and friends are built in the
erts/boot/src directory - they should be manually copied to where their
links points to in the installation.

erlang.ear is also in erts/boot/src and this also needs to be
distributed with the apps.

You will eventually need to manually edit the paths at the top of the
elink etc executables to point to the location of beam_evm and the .ear
files. For the minute they point to the installed ones (There is a tool
to do this but I haven't quite got that far)

A very minimal test program might look like this:

-module(test).

-export([start/1]).

start(Args=[Bin,_|T]) ->
     erlang:display({"Args = ", T}),
     erlang:halt().

to compile and link do:

ecc test.erl
elink -t unix -d -o test -S test -m test.beam

and run:

./test hello
{"Args = ",[<<5 bytes>>]}

I'll post my patch to the linker which allows for own ring0.erl another
time

Sean