SSL socket and keepalive

klacke@REDACTED klacke@REDACTED
Sat Feb 12 16:48:26 CET 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 03:48:08PM +0100, Mickael Remond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it useless to enable TCP keepalive option for SSL connection ?
> It is not supported by Erlang ssl module, but I am not sure that it does
> not make sense ?
>
> What do you think about it ?

It makes sence for SSL sockets as well. If it's not supported
through the APIs, on Linux you can get it through:

# echo 600 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

Actually, it especially makes sence for SSL session since
the resources occupied (at the server side) for an SSL session
are considerable, and you may want to free those resources in the
case of crashed/rebooted/brutally-disconneced  client.

It could be argued that this belongs in the application, not in
kernel.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
http://www.hyber.org                  -- everything is under control