ICMP Ping

klacke@REDACTED klacke@REDACTED
Mon Feb 7 19:55:22 CET 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:32:41PM -0300, leo lencioni wrote:

> I thinked about using your shell solution and parsing the result of
> the os/ping command. But I have some concerns about scalability, since
> I will have a great number of hosts to ping, and I thought that I can
> have some performance problems for having to start a shell for each
> ping command.

Sounds reasonable,

I'd write an external portprogram that

a) read/writes on stdout back and forth to erlang
b) open RAW sockets to do the real ICMP packets

Adds filedescriptors from a) and b) to the poll loop
of the external program.

That way getting scaleability and the ability to send
the RAW packets exactly as you want to.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
http://www.hyber.org                  -- everything is under control