ICMP Ping

leo lencioni lencionil@REDACTED
Mon Feb 7 16:25:52 CET 2005

Thanks to all, for your responses.

I found another alternative to doing and ICMP ECHO PING.

In the new Java 1.5 SDK,  the InetAddress Object has a new method call
isReachable (see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/InetAddress.html),
that tries to execute a n ICMP ping. Sun documentation is not very
clear if it will always execute an ICMP ECHO REQUEST in all cases. It
appears that it is an implementation dependant thing

So for my first try to this I will write a small java program that
will execute a isReachable method . Communications between erlang and
Java program will be based on standard tcp sockets.