Concatenating atoms

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Feb 2 12:22:08 CET 2005

--- "Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)"
<joe.armstrong@REDACTED> wrote:

>     Speedup = (... above ...) - cycles to do GC
>             +/- cycles to handle page faults
> 		+ cycles spent while system was down because it
> 	        crashed because the atom table was filled
> 	      - ...
> 		+ Speedups gained because I can write more
> 		  efficient code.

I started out with looking at the details of your
estimate (is it speedup or cycles?) but I think the
core issue is really another one.

First: I fully support not running out of atoms -- I
hardly would have asked for atom GC if I didn't. I
think it's an implementation flaw to have to worry
about such a thing.

Second: Whether the proper method of managing atoms is
atom GC, per-module atom tables with a new data
representation, or something else, is an engineering
issue. If your formula above indicates success,
implement your proposal and see if it was right.

Best,
Thomas