Erlang Equivalent of C# Hash

Joakim G. jocke@REDACTED
Thu Dec 22 21:52:04 CET 2005

Jing Ding wrote:
> Hi there,
> I previously asked about how to do MD5. And I got answers.
> Thanks for your help. But the binary result is not the same as the
> string generated from C# :
> byte[] a = md5Hash.ComputeHash(AE.GetBytes(UserID + value));
> PasswordHash = Convert.ToBase64String(a);
> Anyone else happen to came across this? Thanks.

Do like this in C#:

==

     byte[] buffer = System.Text.Encoding.Default.GetBytes(String);
     System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider Check;
     Check = new System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider();
     byte[] Hash = Check.ComputeHash(buffer);
     string HashString = "";
     foreach (byte a in Hash) {
         if (a < 16) {
             HashString += "0" + a.ToString("X");
         } else {
             HashString += a.ToString("X");
         }
     }
     return HashString.ToLower();

==

and it works with Erlang's md5 engine and Perl's CPAN
md5_base64 (in Digest::MD5::Perl) out of the box.

If you like a pragmatic answer. This is it. :-)

Cheers
/Jocke