SNMP v3 problem with usm stats

karol skocik karol.skocik@REDACTED
Wed Dec 21 13:19:25 CET 2005

Hi,
 I am working on SNMP (library version 4.6.1), and I have a problem
with getting error usmStatsNotInTimeWindows (using v3 with
authentification & authorization). I have enabled tracing, and the
problem occurs when agent receives get request. When I do (after
starting crypto and snmp) :

snmpm:g("karol", {127,0,0,1}, 4000, [[1,3,6,1,2,1,1,5,0]]).

I get this :
=INFO REPORT==== 20-Dec-2005::16:48:22 ===
SNMPM default user callback received handle_error:
ReqId: -1
Reason: {failed_processing_message,
{securityError,usmStatsNotInTimeWindows}}
UserData: undefined
** SNMP M-SERVER LOG: received sync_timeout [677490657] message
** SNMP M-SERVER TRACE: handle_sync_timeout -> entry with
ReqId: 677490657
From: {<0.31.0>,#Ref<0.0.0.1867>}
** SNMP M-SERVER DEBUG: handle_sync_timeout -> deliver reply (timeout)
and demonitor:
Monref: #Ref<0.0.0.1875>
From: {<0.31.0>,#Ref<0.0.0.1867>}
{error,{timeout,677490657}}

I have searched the archive, and found out that one guy had exactly
the same problem
(http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200412/msg00113.html),
but he has got no replies how to solve it. What makes me feel
uncomfortable is - according to his post - that there were NO changes
in his configuration, it just started to feeding him with these
errors!

There are no user modules yet - I am using standard snmpm_user_default,
also there are no (mine added) instrumentation functions - it is just
the skelet I need to have working properly before I plug in our stuff,
but this message - it's quite a showstopper.

I was checking rfc2274 (USM in SNMPv3), this looks like that I should
start communication with agent using non-authoritative mode to reset 2
counters : SnmpEngineTime and SnmpEngineBoots, but I don't see that
deep now.

Do you guys know what might be the problem and how to fix it? Thanks
for any suggestions.

Cheers,
  Karol Skocik

PS:
The log where it is reported looks like this :
** SNMP A-NET-IF A-USM TRACE: authenticate_incoming -> 3.2.6
** SNMP A-NET-IF A-USM TRACE: is_auth -> retrieve EngineBoots and
EngineTime: 3.2.7
** SNMP A-LOCAL-DB LOG: variable get: snmpEngineID
** SNMP A-NET-IF A-USM TRACE: is_auth -> SnmpEngineID: "md's engine"
** SNMP A-NET-IF A-USM TRACE: is_auth -> we are authoritative: 3.2.7a
** SNMP A-LOCAL-DB LOG: variable get: snmpEngineBoots
** SNMP A-NET-IF A-USM TRACE: is_auth -> SnmpEngineBoots: 15
** SNMP A-NET-IF A-USM INFO: NOT in time window:
SecName: "initial"
SnmpEngineBoots: 15
MsgAuthEngineBoots: 13
SnmpEngineTime: 149
MsgAuthEngineTime: 148
** SNMP A-NET-IF MPD TRACE: message processing result:
{error,usmStatsNotInTimeWindows,
{{varbind,[1,3,6,1,6,3,15,1,1,2,0],'Counter32',3,undefined},
"initial",
[{securityLevel,1}]}}
** SNMP A-NET-IF MPD DEBUG: security module result when reportable [7.2.6-a]:
Reason: usmStatsNotInTimeWindows
ErrorInfo: {{varbind,[1,3,6,1,6,3,15,1,1,2,0],'Counter32',3,undefined},
"initial",
[{securityLevel,1}]}