Recovery-Oriented Computing (ROC)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Dec 19 15:02:35 CET 2005

--- Peter-Henry Mander
<erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> It looks very similar to your thesis [1]!
>
> http://roc.cs.berkeley.edu/
> http://roc.cs.berkeley.edu/roc_overview.html
>
> Is there something new in the Berkeley approach?

My impression is that there has been a number of
Berkeley projects that have been transferring/updating
technology, techniques and ideas from the telco world
to the IP world, and so has Erlang. Ericsson has had a
finger in the Berkeley pie too. So maybe this overlap
is natural. (A bit strange that Berkeley hasn't heard
of Erlang, though.)

While there is a bit of commonality, there are some
system-level ideas in ROC that are not in Erlang as
such, e.g., "undo" of system states, root cause
diagnosis of faults, fault injection of various sorts,
and possibly a few others. They seem to take an
extreme approach to restarts ("micro reboots"), for
example. Some of these are arguably not
programming-language properties, of course. I guess
some of them remain to be proven to be effective too.

Best,
Thomas