type system in erlang?

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Wed Dec 14 15:31:37 CET 2005

Waldemar Rachwal wrote:

 > What's happened with a type system? I've noticed a few papers and even
 > someone's claim that "we got a type system". I realized it was premature
 > but undoubtedly optimistic. Have opinions changed on the type system in
 > erlang since that time? I know there is Dialyzer, but it's not the same.

You are right that it is not the same, but Dialyzer does get most of
the benefits of catching type errors, both simple and quite involved
ones, even some type errors that statically typed languages will not
catch.  Do you have a case that it does not do what you want?

The basic problem with type systems is that there is no single one
that will satisfly all wishes.  What sort of type system would you
want to see?

Best,
Kostis

PS. FYI, we are currently working on the following two directions:
     1. Getting Dialyzer into Erlang/OTP.
     2. Developing Typer, a tool that will automatically annotate
        Erlang source code with Edoc-compatible type information.