Erlang & performance / watt

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Tue Dec 13 10:00:46 CET 2005

I'm intrigued by this:

"If there are enough threads (hardware and software), one should never
have to speculate. The eight CPU cores were a throwback to early RISC
designs: single-issue, in-order, nonspeculative."

So, it looks as if Intel was going down a cul-de-sac with speculative,
out-of-order, hyperthreaded, overheating billion transistor etc... CPUs,
and that the RISC paradigm is destined for a resurgence. I have a
fondness for simple, orthogonal CPUs.

... And that a multicore Erlang CPU might find a market yet? (ducking to
avoid the flames, not just those from Buncefield nearby:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4523430.stm).

Pete.