Computer Language Shootout - concurrency

Bjorn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Wed Dec 7 15:27:24 CET 2005

OK, I agree that it may not be immediately obvious from
reading the sources :-) , but addition is performed by a Beam
instruction (called "i_plus_jd" in beam_emu.c).
The BIF will be used if you apply erlang:'+'/2 (and
also used by match specifications).

The "i_plus_jd" instruction handles additions of small
integers directly. Only if one or both of the operands
are not small, or if the sum is not small, will the
erts_mixed_plus() function be called.

Knowing beforehand that both operands are integers would
not help because they may be bignums, so the type tests
would still be needed.

Introducing a new "is_small_integer/1" guard to eliminate
the type tests would probably not be worth it, because there
would be more instructions and you would probably lose more
time by instruction dispatching than you would win by
eliminating the type tests.

/Bjorn