mnesia replication (Are there checksums?)

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Wed Aug 31 15:43:46 CEST 2005

Hakan Mattsson wrote:
> No, there are no table checksums. Mnesia relies on
> other recovery mechanisms.
>
> The behaviour that you call a serious bug, is
> deliberate. Normally all database accesses should be
> performed within transactions. If the performance is
> good enough you should not use dirty access at
> all. The only reason for using dirty access is to
> gain better performance. But that does not come for
> free, as you need to deal with almost all
> concurrency issues yourself. One of these issues is
> serialization of updates. If this is unexpected, the
> documentation should be blamed (or possibly the
> reader of the documentation ;-).
>
> /Håkan

While I'll take the blame as a reader, it would be helpful to have the
documentation updated with a less ambiguous definition of the use of
dirty operations in a distributed database.

Here's the current sentence from the mnesia user's guide ch. 4.3:

"[...] it is important to realize the trade-off in avoiding the overhead
of transaction processing:

     * The atomicity and the isolation properties of Mnesia are lost.

[...]
Mnesia also ensures that all replicas of a table are updated if a dirty
write operation is performed on a table."

This last statement states that Mnesia ensures that replicas are
updated, which may lead to a reasonable question of whether one can
really count on that as a result of a dirty write when the atomicity
property is lost.

Regards,

Serge