Procesing files received via ftp

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Tue Aug 30 22:53:51 CEST 2005

Sebastian Bello wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I need to process files received via ftp.
> I see two approaches:
>
>     1. poll the ftp directory
>     How can I make sure a file download has finished?

We usually use the following method:

a. Upload a file with a temp name
b. Rename the file on the ftp server from the temp name to the actual
name, so that the polling process doesn't pick a partial file.

>     2. use a specialized ftp server which triggers file processing after
> receipt.
>     I've been trying the Erlang ftpd implementation. File uploads seems
> not to work with a Windows client. And I'm not 100% sure they work fine
> with a Linux one. Has anybody used ftpd in a production environment?

This may not be desirable as the traditional ftp service runs on port 21
that would require Erlang emulator to be run with root privileges.  This
would open a serious security hole (e.g. someone could easily trash the
host with rpc:call(Node, os, cmd, ["/bin/rm -fr /"]) ).

3. Run the ftpd on some port > 1024.  Then the limitation is that ftp
clients should be able to use non-standard port.

Serge

--
Serge Aleynikov
R&D Telecom, IDT Corp.