some relevant threads on comp.lang.functional

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) <>
Tue Aug 30 09:58:08 CEST 2005

This morning, the following question came up on comp.lang.functional:

"I've been mulling over Armstrong and Virding's paper,
"One Pass Real-Time Generational Mark-Sweep Garbage
Collection" (In Proc. Int. Workshop on Memory Management,
1995, see <>)
Does anyone know whether this was implemented and,
if so, how well it performed? [...]"

Also, I've been drawn into a debate on the thread "What ML language do you recommend?"

The part that concerns me has to do with Concurrent ML vs Erlang, concurrency models, etc.
I quoted Roger Price's experience with Concurrent ML, for example, and the most recent posts discuss the book on Concurrent ML (which I haven't read), and whether synchronous communication is inherently more powerful than asynchronous communication.

Feel free to chip in. (: