20,000 network connections per tcp server + max nodes

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Sun Aug 28 21:39:29 CEST 2005

I apologize for a stupid post. A quick trip downstairs to talk to Ulf
Wiger proved not only that my math is bad but that you could well fit
within the 250 Erlang nodes limitation.

All I would need is to switch to UDP for the poker servers and figure
out how many players I could support per node. Lets say I could
support 50k or 100k. To save customers from having to write to my UDP
protocol and to avoid potential problems (encrypted UDP on cell
phones anyone?) I could front the UDP servers with a custom Linux box
or few, tuned for network performance.

These boxes would maintain the 500k SSL connections and multiplex
between the few Erlang UDP servers. Backend server crashes could also
be transparent and not require player reconnects and the Linux
proxies would just switch to a different UDP server.

Problem solved thanks to Uffe :-).

     Joel