We cannot easily see that we are boxed into a corner

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Thu Aug 11 13:31:22 CEST 2005

Hi Gurus,

I've wondered why most of us in the software trade are reluctant to try
new methods of producing software, e.g. Erlang. Here's an article, a bit
long but still intriguing to me.

http://www.dreamsongs.com/MobSoftware.html

Quote: "We are loathe through either our natures or our upbringing to
admit that the programming tasks we are called upon to do are too hard
with available tools or that better tools would improve our lives. We
cannot easily see that we are boxed into a corner by the assumptions of
our ancestors—as correct as those assumptions were or seemed to be at
the time."

Just though someone here might find it interesting too.

Pete.
--
"The Tao of Programming
 flows far away