eaddrinuse

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Fri Apr 29 18:01:00 CEST 2005

Thanks Sean.  Your response forced me to read the relevant chapter in
the Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" p479 that
talks about file-descriptor passing between different processes.

In a few projects I was forced to use the IP multicast technique in
order to have multiple listeners receiving messages on the same port.
The clear advantage of the method you mentioned is that each server is
binding to a local IP address rather than an address in a multicast
range, and you don't need to worry about multicast filtering by routers.
Perhaps there are other beneficial uses of this technique...

Serge