Big state machines

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Apr 19 13:48:44 CEST 2005

See a hacked gen_fsm that I just posted.
The list of events to save, in that case would be all events not
specified in the vector. All events are saved if not actively
received while in the selective mode, but this is determined
by the callback's return value. If no filter vector is given
by the return value, the normal gen_fsm semantics apply.

The idea behind this was that for "top-level" states, FIFO
semantics is perfectly fine. Thus, you provide a filter vector
for the few states that will otherwise ruin your entire state
machine design.

> I initially rejected this idea because it carries the danger that
> you will not keep the state handler function clauses in sync with
> the "receive vector".  This may not be that big a problem though.

In the test program I wrote, I explicitly handled tuples and
integers to identify messages. One would much prefer to use
a record. In my POTS example, I used the following record
and macro definitions:

-record(recv, {lim = [],         % replies, digit, onhook, offhook,...
               anal = [],        % analysis_reply
               half_call = []    % request_connection, connect
              }).

-define(lim, #recv.lim).
-define(anal, #recv.anal).
-define(hc, #recv.half_call).

Macros to tag messages being sent. The record to use as a receive
vector (e.g. #recv{lim = Ref, _ = false}, meaning "handle a message
tagged as ?lim where the second element is Ref -- buffer everything
else.)

It isn't stunningly beautiful, but I've failed sofar to come
up with anything better.

/Uffe