Error: cannot handle extended pids and ports

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Fri Apr 1 22:06:21 CEST 2005

"Joel Reymont" <joelr1@REDACTED> writes:

> > Luke Gorrie wrote:
> >You could try this totally untested patch to py_interface to do the
> >same thing:
>
> Thank you Luke!
>
> Now, you wouldn't have a totally untested Reliable UDP implementation
> lying around, would you? :)

I'd suggest starting simple, either with TCP or UDP with fingers
crossed (unlikely to lose packets in laboratory conditions), and then
think some more once you see how the protocol turns out. RUDP looks
pretty TCP'ishly complex and I can imagine a much simpler protocol if
e.g. it turns out that each side only needs to send one packet at a
time.

My colleagues could probably give you some good tips on how far you
can make TCP scale in Erlang, I suspect it's a pretty long way..

I do have a mostly untested/unfinished user-space TCP if you want, but
that would take you back to lisp and I don't remember where the latest
sources are :-) http://www.cliki.net/Slitch and Tobbe has written a
more complete one in Erlang (old and may need slight forwards-porting)
http://www.bluetail.com/tobbe/etcp/

Practical path would be to ignore those links though :-)