Erlang/OTP and SDL

Casper casper2000a@REDACTED
Thu Sep 16 07:08:54 CEST 2004

Matthias,

Thanks for the info.

Could you kindly give us some benchmark about the performance of your Erlang
MTP2 implementation compared to your C or Hardware implementation? Do you
think it's a semantic problem in your particular implementation or inherited
to Erlang?

I am planning to implement a GSM/UMTS MAP service provider layer in Erlang
and develop the telecom platform on top of that. Do you think that's wise or
just stick to plain old C/C++? Or (slow as hell) Java?

Thanks!
Eranga

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
[mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Matthias Lang
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 8:07 PM
To: Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: RE: Erlang/OTP and SDL

 Eranga> How good is the SDL support in Erlang? Are there any tools
 Eranga> that can generate Erlang code from a SDL spec?

 Ulf> In general, one can say that it's entirely straightforward
 Ulf> to generate Erlang from SDL

Just as an example: MTP-2 is defined in about 50 pages of SDL
diagrams. Without knowing anything about MTP-2, I "brainlessly"
translated it into Erlang. By "brainlessly", I mean I used a process
whenever SDL had a process, sent a message whenever SDL sent a message
and sat in receive whenever SDL wanted me to wait for a message.

The result was just over 2000 lines of Erlang code. While doing that,
I found two bugs in the SDL in the MTP-2 standard, both of which have
been corrected in a later version. The Erlang code was hopelessly
slow, but that was OK: the goal was to build a reference
implementation to test the real (hardware-accelerated) implementation
against.

I didn't use any tools.

Matthias