ex11, esdl

Joe Armstrong <>
Thu Sep 9 11:58:25 CEST 2004

I've put the latest version of ex11 in my

Note this is *packed* with goodies - try my mini emacs

In particular look at the swEmacs and swColorText widgets

I'd really like a "stand-alone" swColorText widget (using gdk)

The "three widgets" I'd like are

    - a text widget.

 	treats text as an X,Y grid,

 	goPut(X, Y, FGCOlor, BGColor, "string")

         this displays "string" at X,Y with the given colors

 	it also traps mouse clicks and sends you a message to say
         the X,Y of the mouse, and it traps and sends you
         keypress messages, and window resize messages

     With this I can implement emacs, windowing systems, ...
sure it "old fashioned text mode" but it's really useful and easy to use.

    - a canvas

 	Like the text, but I can draw lines cirecles, put images etc.

    - a MDI

 	A containing widget (Multiple document interface) this is
the "desktop" widget that I can embed canvas and text widgets

    Given those three I can build a really nice easy to use system

    Now I can do this  in ex11 - but not natively in widdows etc.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Eric Merritt wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:28:04 +0200 (CEST), Joe Armstrong <> wrote:
>> Re: edsl ex11 etc.
>> Just my 5 c.
>>    1) I'm not sure  I've published my latest ex11 - it  has a *lot* of
>> functionality which I'm  not sure can be bolted on  top of a different
>> graphics engine.
> You are right. When last I looked at this (I recently moved and am
> still getting things together, I will get back to it soon), the x11
> stuff was pretty widespread through out the code. It becomes more a
> matter of taking your ideas and rebuilding them on a different
> backend.
> [snip good stuff from joe.]
> two questions joe, or more specifically a question and a statement ;)
> You said that 3 widgets where required but you only named two of
> them, whats the third?
>  Why use sockets to communicate via low level and high level widgets?
> Why not just use standard erlang constructs?

Did I say that? - I don't understand.