How to get configuration data to a large number of threads?

Mark Scandariato mscandar@REDACTED
Wed Oct 27 06:05:15 CEST 2004

(Sorry if this is a duplicate - the first attempt seems to have been eaten by a
grue. I also changed it a little.)

If the config data is static per process (that is, changes won't affect active
transactions) you could keep it in a fun that you spawn for each transaction.
When the config changes, create a new fun.

You can keep the fun in a server that accepts (relatively infrequent) config
change messages as well as call request messages.

The basic notion would look like:

start(Config) -> loop(txn(Config)).

txn(Config) ->
     fun(Req) -> do_txn(Config, Req) end.

do_txn(Config, Req) ->
	% slice off an appropriately sized chunk of Config
         spawn(fun() -> txn_handler(Subconfig, Req) end).

loop(Txn) ->
     receive
         {config, Config} ->
             loop(txn(Config));
         {txn, Req} ->
             Txn(Req),
             loop(Txn)
     end.

(This looks suspiciously like Joe's generic server. Hmm.)

Mark.