xmerl and fetching docs from the net

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Oct 27 00:37:15 CEST 2004

I browsed through the OTP manual for xmerl, and got stuck
on one detail in the introduction to the User's Guide:

"There are two known shortcomings in xmerl:

- It cannot retrieve external entities on the Internet by
   a URL reference, only resources in the local file system.
- xmerl can parse Unicode encoded data. But, it fails on tag
   names, attribute names and other markup names that are
   encoded Unicode characters not mapping on ASCII."

I have nothing to say about the second bullet, but regarding
the first -- at least the _intention_ was that you could
write your own 'fetch_fun' and fetch documents from anywhere,
e.g. using the now supported http client in INETS.

Does this not work in practice?

Regards,
Uffe
--