SV: How to get configuration data to a large number of threads?

Lennart Öhman Lennart.Ohman@REDACTED
Tue Oct 26 11:20:30 CEST 2004

Hi,
my first thought was placing it in an ETS table, as you
suggested. In that way it is changable and accessable for
all processes.

If you retrieve it to make some calculations and then
only use the result, the retrieved data will eventually be
garbage collected away from the process, is that is not
satisfactory? I can imagine a situation where several
(thousands of) processes have copies (of the same data)
which sits and waits to be garbage-collected. It will of
course take up space until it is GC:ed. And the fact that
it sits and can be GC:ed in one process does not help you
if another process is the one causing your memory to run out.

Next idea: Can you make calculations on the data in
one single process, passing request-reply to/from that
process? (This will prevent you from having simultaneous
copies of the the same data in several processes waiting
for it to be garbage collected).

Best Regards,
Lennar

Lennart Ohman                   phone   : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjöland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 6735
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 8230
SE-115 28 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED