MS moving from OOP to message passing?

Marc van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Mon Oct 25 16:27:59 CEST 2004

This article is not new, but maybe you don't know it:

   http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-5148148.html

Let me cite:

   Box said technologies such as Java's Remote Method
   Invocation (RMI) and CORBA (Common Object Request
Broker
   Architecture) all suffered similar problems.
   "The metaphor of objects as a primary distribution
   media is flawed. CORBA started out with wonderful
   intentions, but by the time they were done, they fell
   into the same object pit as COM."

Thus OOP is snake oil for certain pains, or?

   The problem with most distributed object technologies,
Box
   said, is that programs require particular class files
or
   .jar   files (referring to Java), or .dll files
   (Microsoft's
   own dynamic linked libraries). "We didn't have (a) true
   arms-length relationship between programs," Box said.
   "We were putting on an appearance that we did, but the

   programs had far more intimacy with each other than
anyone
   felt comfortable with."

A cry for better isolation, or?

   "How do we discourage unwanted intimacy?" he asked.
   "The metaphor we're going to use for integrating
   programs (on Indigo) is service orientation.
   I can only interact by sending and receiving
   messages. Message-based (communications) gives
   more flexibility."

I have read such before in the texts of some esoteric
language, what was it called? Erlang or so? :)

Regards,
Marc