is module a process in erlang

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Wed Oct 20 08:19:45 CEST 2004

suresh saragadam wrote:
> hi,
>
> in erlang every thing is a process ? i just want to confirm it,

only processes are proceses in erlang. :-)

you start a process with
erlang:spawn(...)/spawn_link(...)

> and how to trace that process,

see the dbg module. the function p(Pid, ...) might be able to do what
you want. if combined with the correct tpl(...) calls...

> all the processes generated in that module come under that 'module process'

modules are ''containers for functions''. a function can be run/executed
in a process.

> if i kill module process all the process under it can me terminated

if you kill a process all processes that are ''linked'' to it, see
erlang:spawn_link(...), are terminated.

> can you please clarify it

unfortunatly i am not very good at this. please see the abundant
documentation at http://erlang.org/doc.html. perhaps ''An Erlang
course'' would be the right start?
or take a look at the many fine tutorials at http://www.sics.se/~joe

bengt