filename:dirname(".").

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Oct 1 17:49:38 CEST 2004

Ok, I accept that.

On my Solaris box, basename and dirname are synonymous.
I'd like to suggest then that filename:dirname(".") stays as is,
but that filename:basename(".") be changed to return the
parent directory rather than ParentDir ++ "/.".

It would then follow that e.g.:

Eshell V5.4  (abort with ^G)
1> cd("/home/etxuwig").
/home/etxuwig
ok
2> filename:dirname(filename:basename(".")).
"/home/etxuwig"

This would not break any expected analogy with libc, since
in filename.erl, basename/1 and dirname/1 clearly are _not_
synonymous.

It would also not break any documented feature, since it
is not clear from the filename manual how it is expected
to behave for ".".

/Uffe