Linking two Pids of nodes that are in the same machine - noconnection signal!

Inswitch Solutions - Erlang Evaluation erlang@REDACTED
Fri Oct 1 14:36:04 CEST 2004

I'll try to explain the problem from another point of view.
The machine I'm using is named design (IP=192.168.0.30).

In Windows 2000:
With LAN cable disconnected:
ping design
Response from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 tieme<10ms TTL=128

With LAN cable connected:
ping design
Response from 192.168.0.30: bytes=32 tieme<10ms TTL=128

Having two Erlang nodes in the same machine the TCP socket connections are different:
1- if LAN cable disconnected the connection between nodes is established using 127.0.0.1:PORT
2- if LAN cable connected the connection between nodes is established using 192.168.0.30:PORT

The problem is that in situation 2) and then if the LAN cable is disconnected the connections established with 192.168.0.30:PORT are lost. This can be also verified when "ping design" in W2000 command prompt.

- Can I force Erlang to use 127.0.0.1 for local nodes connection instead of 192.168.0.30 ?
- How can I solve this problem so not to lose local connections in any case?
- Does the same behaviour happen in other OS?

thanks in advance,
Eduardo Figoli
INSwitch Solutions